WHYY has more than 200 dedicated, hardworking employees serving the people of Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania by providing quality programs from PBS and NPR, producing content about life in the Delaware Valley and hosting 85+ community events, forums, and courses each year. Across television, radio, digital properties and events, WHYY reaches more than 1 million people each week. WHYY is a proud to be member-supported, non-profit media organization.
WHYY is looking for a team member who will create and share actionable insights that improve our ability to serve the Philadelphia region. This Research Associate reports to the Marketing Manager, but works across the organization.
The ideal candidate will be someone who is curious, skeptical and highly self-motivated. Must be able to work in a fast-changing media environment, and must be able to learn new skills and adapt to challenges quickly.
Above all, This individual must understand how to get from data to insight AND communicate their findings effectively with different audiences.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
– In collaboration with the marketing manager and internal partners, collect and analyze data that provide insights about audience engagement with WHYY.
– Work towards best practices in data collection and analysis; Recommend new tools to improve capabilities
– Track behavior of broadcast, websites, digital audio, digital video and social media audiences through Google Analytics, Scarborough, Neilson Audio, Podtrac, Facebook Insights and similar
– Understand people through surveys, interviews and focus groups
– Serve as hub for institution-wide learnings about our audience from internal research, as well as research from NPR, PBS, and other trusted partners; develop tactics to communicate key insights to staff of all levels in various departments
– Coach staff of varying backgrounds on gathering, understanding and acting on audience behaviors and needs related to their work (particularly in Google Analytics)
– Collect and analyze marketing campaigns, such as on-air promotions, social media, email, podcast, and advertisements promoting WHYY programs, services, events, donations.
– Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
A work history demonstrating experience at a high-impact non-profit or media company is preferred. Broadcast ratings (TV/FM) and survey experience are big pluses. Knowledge of Google Analytics is required, preferably you have certification. Please note any experience with Scarborough, Neilson Audio, Podtrac, Facebook Insights, audience surveys, conducting in-depth interviews and focus groups (or similar) in your application. Must be fluent in English; must possess the ability to communicate effectively throughout the organization. Strong listening skills, the ability to understand and follow through with needs/requests are necessary as well. The position holder must be able to calmly receive and act on constructive feedback. Also, position holder must be able to convey technical matters to non-technical people in an understandable manner. The position requires advanced math skills, specifically an understanding of sample-based statistics. Must be able to see, hear, speak, reach, grasp, operate and input data into a computer, sit and stand for long periods of time and move freely about the building. A high level of concentration skills and the ability to be detail-oriented are of value. This position requires the ability to work well under pressure, demonstrate patience, and understand the needs of various users. This position requires the ability to work in a demanding environment. Must be able to communicate well in person with individuals or groups and answer and speak on the phone. Must be able to travel locally when necessary using personal or public transportation.
Interested candidates should submit an application including resume & cover letter. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Click here to apply.